I don’t know about you but I must get in some carbs before my workout or I might as well not even bother. I mean I would have so little energy that it would be impossible to have an effective workout. Nausea and headaches are two of my low energy symptoms. Since carbohydrates are our # 1 glycogen fuel source, I usually reach for oatmeal, toast or rice cakes. After a while that can get pretty boring so I was excited to try this recipe from my TapOut XT, MMA nutrition guide (pg 42).
I train in the wee hours of the morning (5am) before a long day’s work. When I get up at 4am I am reaching for fuel for my workout. This breakfast is high protein and complex carbs that is also perfect for my gluten intolerance. There was just one thing. You know me I changed it just a tad. I added a tsp of vanilla extract and drained the water from the cooked rice. I may just try some nutmeg or pumpkin spice next time.
The main ingredients are:
Low – 0 fat milk
Quick cooking brown rice
Plain Greek Yogurt
Mix it along with the spices.
|Creamy and Spicy Brown Rice Cereal|
- 1 cup low to fat-free milk of your choice (Mine is Rice Milk)
- 1/2 cup quick cooking brown rice
- 1/2 medium apple, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp 0 calorie sweetener
- Pinch or ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Bring milk to a boil in sauce pan. Stir in rice. Reduce to low; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in apples, cinnamon and sweetener. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat and drain rice. Then stir in yogurt.
TapOut XT Food Plan and Nutritional Guide